Thursday, July 17, 2008

So Long, Sellwood


This morning I weeded and watered my little veggie and flower garden with unusual gusto.  I asked myself as I kneeled what I was going to this effort for, as I will not be tasting a single one of these vegetables.  And I suppose my last little sprucing up of the plot was from an impulse akin to a mother paying extra attention to the clothes and cleanliness of her little kid before sending him onto an airplane by himself.  When you send your own off into the world, you want their best foot to be forward.  Only thing is, I'M the one going off into the world and my little creation is to be left behind.

I had hoped to sample a tomato or two before I leave, but the little guys are still small, green, and cute.  There are lots of them though, and the plants are huge-- twice as big as last year-- so I pat myself on the back for that at least.  To the new tenant: enjoy!  Please don't forget to water.

I'd also like to bid farewell to my other favorite foods, native only to Sellwood.  San Felipe, you make the best enchiladas I've ever tasted (they're made with cotija cheese instead of your usual jack), and it doesn't hurt that your margaritas come in a glass the size of a mixing bowl.  Oaks Bottom, I've stuffed myself many times on your totchoes (imagine the offspring of tater tots and nachos if they were to meet and fall in love).  New Seasons, you are very expensive for a  grocery store, but it's been great having you within walking distance, and I do very much appreciate the attention you give to local farmers-- thanks to you I had Oregon cherries for lunch today.  And oh, the Ugly Mug, one of my all-time favorite coffee shops.  You have supplied me with much tea, hot or iced depending on the season, while I spent hours reading, looking for jobs, or tapping away on my laptop.  Thanks so much for allowing Cally inside; she appreciates that very much.

Take care, little blue house.  Tomorrow I sleep in Hood River!

No comments: