Monday, July 14, 2008

Reading Assignment

I encourage all of you to read this great article published in the American Conservative Magazine.  I'm very glad, from a political standpoint of across-the-aisle unity, to introduce to my vast readership some thoughts on the politics and culture of food written by a conservative.  I share his sentiments almost entirely, but possibly for different reasons: I don't consider that we should attempt to persuade Congress to alter the Farm Bill because I don't believe in centralized government, for example (though my thoughts on centralized government are far from solidified).  But we should show major agri-businesses and the politicians who kowtow to them what we think of their practices by using our dollars wisely.  The way we spend our money is our loudest voice, and anyway, it's the most consistent way to localize our consumption.  Would it make any sense to write letters to our Senators about the travesty of massive corporate food production, while we continue to patronize it?

Much more on this topic to come, starting with a shout out to Barbara Kingsolver's excellent book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  (Just as soon as I finish it.) 

No comments: