Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Ugly Duckling Vegetable Garden

Well, here she is: possibly the least attractive garden you've ever laid eyes on.  A couple weekends ago Adam and I rented a roto-tiller and turned our wasteland into workable soil.  Unfortunately, while the soil was being tilled just about every single weed seed in town got wind of the fresh, aerated soil and flew over and dove right in.  I can't get grass to grow on my lawn for example, but it sure loves the veggie patch!  The hideous cardboard is covering the pathway as well as some spots that are as yet unplanted.  I'm hoping this will keep weeds at bay, and will create a nice dark, moist, welcoming spot for worms (they'll eat the soil and weeds and from their back ends will emerge nutrient-rich "black gold" that the veggies next spring will love.)
We've had some success so far-- my roommate Christie, a refugee from another house in Hood River that burned down recently, brought over as many plants as she could salvage.  This basil is looking good.
Also, she brought about ten broccoli plants, and they seem to be flourishing.  Her tomato and pepper plants are small, but alive.  We'll see about those.  The watermelons, sniff, are no longer with us. 
These broad-leafed sproutlings are squash-- I planted Waltham winter squash and Butternut.  Of the seeds, these came up the quickest, largest, and most robust.
As for my carrots, chard, and kale, I'm worried about this weed.  What IS this stuff???  It's too tiny to pluck and I'm afraid that I'm going to wake up one morning and these things will be chest high and my little veggies will be dead in infancy.  Any tips from you green thumbers out there?  Note, the chard does seem to be emerging-- I did clear the areas around them as best I could.

No comments: