Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hot for Pancakes


Whoa.  I just had quite possibly the best pancakes in the world.  Harkening nostalgically back to the occasional breakfast-for-dinner evenings created by my father (a bachelor during much of my youth), and desiring to get rid of the buttermilk used in cheesemaking last week, I looked up a buttermilk pancake recipe for dinner tonight on the old tried and true epicurious.com.  I like that site because you can type in whatever ingredient you're overloaded with, and a long list of recipes calling for that ingredient will come up.  They are rated with a fork system, and this recipe got four out of four forks, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  I give it an enthusiastic four forks too.

The recipe actually includes this whole other part that sounds really good-- sauteed apples in maple syrup and cinnamon-- but I had yesterday-picked blueberries and blackberry jam, so I decided to try the apples another time.  But the pancakes themselves are really outstanding,  whatever you top them with-- a little crispy on the outside, and moist, fluffy and slightly sour on the inside.  Find the recipe here.

Also, I love it when you look up a recipe for something kind of random, something you wouldn't think of alone by just staring at the cupboards and fridge and hoping for inspiration, and then you realize that you actually have all the ingredients.  It makes me wonder how many meals-- good meals-- I could make with the contents already in the kitchen.  Hundreds, probably.  Thousands. 

No comments: