Friday, June 27, 2008

Pie O My (Remember? From the Sopranos)

Ok, so it's pie season.  As Adam and I prepare to move to Hood River for his new spiffy job (yay, Hood River!  yay, job!) I started to get creative with ideas for my own income.  The idea that I liked the most, until I made the world's WORST peach pie the other night, was to start a little baking operation.  Nothing huge, you know, just a few pies every week to sell to local coffee shops, maybe restaurants, and even if I just broke even or made enough for a six-pack of a weekend, that would be great.

Little did I factor into my calculations that you actually have to know how to bake first.  Good lord, when did baking become so difficult?  It used to be, back in my grandma's day, you just whipped up a pie with crust from scratch of course, threw it in the oven, and then let it cool idyllically on the window sill.  

Ha ha.  

So where did our grandmothers learn this hardwon  art?  I suppose from their grandmothers and mothers.  Not that I can blame my own mom-- I could have asked for some guidance, and if I had, I'm sure she would have taken the time out of her schedule running a marketing and design firm to show me.  But I didn't, and though I get occasional tips from my grandma, I'm afraid I'm turning into an old dog whose capacity for new tricks is on the wane.

I've made probably ten pies in my lifetime.  Maybe nine.  Or eight.  They've ranged from pretty good to abysmal.  The abysmal one was the most recent, and though it was an embarrassment from which I'm still recovering, I think it was the slap in the face that I needed.  I need help.  I'm sure that I can justifiably distribute blame-- my oven sucks for one, leaving the top crust nearly burned and the bottom crust completely raw; and my peaches really were no good-- dry and mealy.  But the thing is, good bakers work around these obstacles.  In the face of adversity, they flourish.  They mask dry, gross fruit and they do something to the crust-- I don't even know what-- to make sure it's not two-toned charred and raw at the same time.  

So here's my proclamation.  I vow, here and now, to make ten pies this summer.  (Whoa, I got butterflies in my stomach, just writing that.  This is a huge commitment!)  But I'm sticking to my rolling pins here.  Ten pies.  If, by the tenth pie I do not succeed in baking something decent, then I'm going to give up the practice forever.  Before I get started, do you have any tips?  If you pie bakers out there could single out the most important thing to remember when baking a pie, what would it be?  And hey, if it's all a bust, well, at least my oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are winners.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yo Megan,
Come back to visit in DC and I'll teach you to make a pie. Adam can tell you that you will be learning from the master. But until then, I'm sending you my pie recipe. As for tips - three things to remember
1) use at least 1/2 crisco (or store brand). That makes the flakiest pie crust. I usually use 2/3 crisco, 1/3 butter.
2) Ice water. I actually put ice cubes in the water
3) Wax paper - just roll the crust out between two sheets of wax paper, there's no shame in it. I've been doing it for years and I make the best crusts ever.

Armchair Foodie said...

Thanks, Sarah! I'll definitely try your tips. Once I get around to pie #1...

gardenpoet said...

Don't beat yourself up. It DOES take a decent oven to make good baked goods. Plus, good ingredients, especially good fruit for fruit pies, which are my favorites. Yum! Fruit pie and black coffee for breakfast! I'm definitely going to visit you and we can do a pie-baking day. Your line of grandmothers and aunties always used Crisco, as per Sarah's suggestion, but I could never let myself put Crisco into anything that I eat, opting to forgo flaky for a more buttery taste and maybe a slightly more healthful product. Next time you see Taylor, ask him for tips too--he makes awesome pies!