Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Quick Tip-Oatmeal

While making one of my staple breakfasts this morning-- oatmeal-- it occurred to me to do the thing that makes all sweet things so delicious: add salt.  I've tried to be creative with my morning porridge, stirring in all manner of sweeteners (brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, molasses), fruit (dried or fresh), nuts, seeds and spices (cinnamon!)-- all at varying degrees and combinations.  But never have I gone back to the basics with this particular dish.  So, next time you're making oatmeal, throw in a pinch of salt.  It makes it more... three-dimensional.  I think you know what I mean.

In other news, today my mom sent me this wonderful quotation on happiness.  Like a good mama, she knew I needed it.

"Happiness is always a by-product.  It is probably a matter of temperament, and for anything I know it might be glandular.  But it is not something that can be demanded from life, and if you are not happy you had better stop worrying about it and see what treasures you can pluck from your own brand of unhappiness."  -Robertson Davies

3 comments:

gardenpoet said...

Interesting that you include in the self-same blog a bit about happiness (or un-) and making things more palatable if you take it with a grain of salt...I'm just sayin'.

Armchair Foodie said...

Ha ha ha!!!! What an eye on this one...

Anonymous said...

Moms know best! What a great post :) I wanted to write a nopte to you, but since I couldn't find your email, I'm just leaving a comment here. I'd like to invite you to take some time to drop by at Foodista and share some of your favorite recipes with us. We have launched an online food and cooking encyclopedia ala wikipedia. Add a recipe and you can win a $100 gift card to Sur la table. Don't forget to register first so we know who to thank the recipe for. Thanks! Have a great weekend!