Saturday, November 22, 2008

Turkey Needs a Drink


Check out my latest science experiment: cranberry-infused vodka.  I spent a month fretting about those peaches, infusing and turning progressively browner with each day, and imagining that the whole thing would end up in the compost heap.  But last weekend I spent several hours filtering the stuff and once the peaches were dumped, the remaining spirits were clear and a lovely peach hue.  And more importantly, it tastes great!  Especially mixed with orange juice or lemonade.

So I started another small batch to share with my Thanksgiving company, this time with cranberries.  You know, in the holiday spirit and whatnot.  Check out the top photo, taken immediately after combining the alcohol with the crushed berries.  And the next photo is taken about five days later.  The vodka is a bright, zippy red and the cranberries look like maraschino cherries (yuck).  I added a little bit of simple syrup to this one, since cranberries are so sour.  I wonder what kinds of cocktails I should make with it.  Any suggestions?

No comments: