Thursday, May 22, 2008

Food Tip #1-- Herby Samwidges

On a whim today I decided to dress up my sandwich.  I had some leftover salmon that I had breaded and baked the other night to rather unglamorous results, so I wasn't too thrilled about eating it for lunch.  Not only had it been only so-so, but now it was two days old, too.  But: waste not, spend not too much money.  So I toasted some bread-- good, Italian Como from our local bakery-- and went out to the garden to pick some lettuce.  While I was out there, the basil fluttered in the wind and I worried that if I didn't pick any soon it would bolt.  So I snapped a few leaves off, and as an afterthought, also grabbed a few leaves of the wild oregano, growing enormously right in the middle of our lawn.  I slathered one slice of bread with mayo, and nestled the herbs in it.  Then lettuce, salmon (microwaved just to room temp), and a thin smear of sweet, hot mustard on the other slice.  Oh my lord, it was good.  Crusty bread, meaty fish, crunchy lettuce, salty mayo, and a hint of sweet from the mustard.  And then, after chewing for a second, the fresh punch of flavor from the basil and oregano.  I'm definitely doing that again.

No comments: